Sunday 3 January 2016

For The Emperor and Sanguinius!


 

I've definitely ended the year on a high note having completed my 1500 point Blood Angel force.  This is going to be a long post so you may want to make a cup of tea.  This project has almost consumed my entire hobby existence for 2015.  I must say it's been a long road but worth it at the end.  I've been in this hobby for over 10 years and this is the 2nd 1500 army that I've painted in completeness.  Though I'm going to apply some decals and markings once I get the 6th Horus Heresy book into my hands.

The final piece to my army is my Deimos Pattern Vindicator with Laser Destroyer.  This model is probably is my most advanced model.  I used a lot of techniques I've been learning/practicing over the year.  The biggest departure here is me moving away from just highlighting the edges on vehicles.  You'll see this model has much more colour transitions from light to dark.  This is in stark contrast to how I painted my Sicaran just a few months ago.


The side shot here really shows the nice transitions on the side panel, front shield and dozer blades.

Below is a picture I took in June.  Progress at the time was good, really working through the infantry.  Infantry has always been the easier part for me, vehicles have always been hard but I'm getting better at it.

This is the completed army below, in all it's glory.  I must say it's quite a feeling to seeing them all together.  Now I get to be a closer!  

Legion Chaplain with power axe and half an assault squad.

This is the second half of the assault squad led by the Sergeant with Power fist.

Half of a Tactical squad led by a navigator and a Sergeant with a power fist.

Half of a tactical squad with a Legion Vexilla.

 Support squad with Plasma guns, with attached apothecary riding in a rhino.

Deimos pattern Vindicator with Laser Destroyer.

Deredeo Contemptor Dreadnought with Anvilus Pattern Autocannon, Aiolos Missile Launcher and Twin linked Heavy Bolters.

Sicaran Battle Tank with Accelerator Autocannon and two Lascannon sponsons.  This tank looks pretty plan now.  Probably want to do something to make it more interesting, maybe some free hand or decals?

The obvious question now to ask is "What's next?".  Ahh that is a good question and I have a lot of options head of me.  I've got a bunch of stuff purchased and ready to go:
  • Vigilator.
  • Contemptor Dreadnought with Twin Kheres Assault Cannons.
  • Land Raider Spartan.
  • 10 Cataphratii Terminators.
  • Aegis Defense Line.
I hope to get most of that painted in 2016.  Plus I've got a big shopping trip coming at the Horus Heresy Weekender in February.  Not sure what I'll get yet but it's going to include at least one super heavy!  To add variety to my painting I'm going to build a small White Scars force.  I've read most of the Black Library Horus Heresy novels and have come to really embrace the White Scars and their way of war and philosophy.  

4 comments:

  1. Love it, great effort man you actually hit your 6 month hobby challenge goal! And it all looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Really great feeling to see it all done. They're still sitting on my dining room table so I can enjoy their company.

      Delete
  2. Looking fantastic! Followed your advice and got the tea ready before reading through :). Absolutely loving the laser destroyer most of all, the tones in colour change and flow nicely adding so much depth, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really proud of the laser destroyer. I may go back and touch up the front shield. It feels little off, I can't put my finger on it.

      Delete