Tuesday 26 January 2016

Vigilator Alpha HQ

Hey guys, a quick post today to let you know I'm a closer! I mean, I've finished painting my HH weekender army, and the last model to be completed was my Vigilator. Progress below:




So this was a bit of a conversion project for me, starting with the Autillon Skorr limited edition model. Firstly I cut off his left leg at the knee and hip and repositioned it to a raised angle do he could be stepping up onto something, and made a bit of concrete chipped for that purpose. I also gave him a replacement head (the prototype mk6 pattern from the alpha legion upgrades). 

Then I built him a gun. This was a bit of a fun project for me, to experiment with the idea of the nanyte blaster relic weapon. I usually run my vigilator as an alpha striker backed by a fury of the legion spraying tactical squad, and the nanyte blaster is the secret to my success at causing so much damage at the start of a game. To make this weapon I used parts from the skitarii box, the scions box, the wraithguard box and some delicate knife work. In the description of the weapon it's more conical but I didn't really want a sort of comic book Martian death ray (that's what Volkite is for) and besides I went more "blaster" than "nanyte". I did try and add a syringe looking piece to be the muzzle of the gun but unfortunately it skittered off never to be seen again when I cut it.

Okay so I started painting this guy with no idea what colour to do the cloak (a pattern emerges). I decided to use some green because I didn't do that with my master of signals. I know he's a vigilator but he's alpha legion and arrogant with it, it's more of a hidden in plain sight kind of stealth with these guys... so I went vibrant. What can I say, I love the pop. I dulled it down a bit in the final steps on the finished model but wish I hadn't! Hence sharing the WIP stage. 


Man, this shoulder pad is a gorgeous sculpt. I had a lot of fun painting it, and think I managed to bring some subtlety to the metallics which I'm quite proud of.


I think I said this would be a quick post. Oops. Here's the finished model!


Bit of a top down view to get a better feel of the depth in the colour gradients.


Dat back tho.


This was taken using a new light box I just set up for the purpose. Hoping to make another post soon with more models in there for better photography after I've done transfers and some weathering.

So that's >1500 points now painted! Not bad at all for a six month target. I'm happy with it and look forward to expanding on my Alpha Legion some more after the weekender. I'll also be doing some other fun projects!

Syra out.



2 comments:

  1. Great job on the vigilator. Really love the pop with the scales on the cloak.

    ReplyDelete