Monday 23 November 2015

The Path of Iron, Rust and Endless Trenches!



So….how did it I get here? A short little story before I get to the Grand Battalion at work. Like many who found Chaos in the much hallowed 3.5 edition, it has been hard ever since to find an army with as flavoursome rules and representation for the traitor legions. Back then I was a Word Bearer but no more! I’ve dipped my feet in and out of 40k over the past few years but it’s all just got a bit crazy for me with stacking rules, formations and unbound, that’s not a game I want to spend a few precious hours in the evening playing.


So after finding 30k I could never be happier, it’s not that there aren’t crazy combos and nasty units, it’s just the mindset is different not everyone wants to break the game, which is a lot harder due to the lack of formations and allies shenanigans. The fact most players (marines) are playing from the same list evens the playing fields somewhat as well, it’s like a beautiful version of chess with more complexity and rules that do the legions justice.

The problem with so many tasteful and interesting rules for the legions I was stuck where to start, I’m a gamer at heart but love the modelling and painting side of the hobby so I looked for a legion that fit my preferences. In the end I settled for Iron Warriors, big guns, a quick and dirty paint scheme that leaves me more time for gaming or figuring out how I am going to paint those chevrons!

When it comes to playstyle I can’t resist the look of massed infantry on the table which nicely shows off the various and iconic armour marks of the Heresy (preference for mkii & iii). Plus it goes well with the IW’s signature rules of never running from a fight. So a horde of infantry and some artillery fits the bill. At this point I also made the decision to magnetise the crap out of everything, EVERYTHING! Horribly time consuming but brilliant I can now switch and swap all sorts of weapons.

But it has left me with a horde of arms…

And armless orange infantry looking worse than failbaddon…

Paint scheme wise, I’ve gone for Abaddon Black base with Jokaero Orange dry brushed over which acts as the rust base. This is followed up by a second dry brush of lead belcher, a wash of Agrax Earthshade, a highlight of Runefang silver and a last wash of Agrax.

I’ve a couple projects in various stages of completion at the moment as I bulk painted the armour first, on the list to getting finished hopefully over the next 2 weeks include:

Support squad: 10 Volkite Calivers 225pts
Iron Havocs: 5 Legionaries with Autocannons: 185pts
1 Vigilator with Power axe and artificer armour. 110pts

Autocannons: Dakka Dakka Dakka Dakka!

Volkites – CHOOOOM!

Following this I’m slowly working on my Warsmith who will also be used as a Praetor, Praevian, Forgelord, Siegebreaker (All the things an Iron Warrior Praetor should have experience in!) as and when he is needed. His weapons and backpack are magnetised so be prepared to see him cropping up in future posts with different weapons!

P.s Guess the parts!
P.s.s I vow to improve my photography skills for the next post!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, good to have another heretic on board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff man! Glad to have you aboard. It's getting awfully lonely being the only loyalist on this blog.

    ReplyDelete