Tuesday 16 June 2015

"LUPERCAL!!!"

Space Viking breaking face!!
This was the picture that did it.......Back when I was 11 or 12 year's old my very good friend Syra-and fellow blogger on this errmmm..blog- lured me in to the sweet embrace of 40K. He ripped me off for a battle force of Dark Eldar and i was over the moon, for a very brief time at least. A box of tactical marines later I took a trip to WH Smith to pick up the monthly White Dwarf (when it was good) and I saw THAT PICTURE on the front cover. 


One must appreciate the levels of bad assery this picture exudes. The sheer aggression and feral nature got me hook line and sinker, I was sold! For me the Wolves really summed up that dark, gritty and savage nature of the 40k universe and lore. The futuristic element of space, guns and war with that signature old gothic 40K feel, mix in some viking, from that day on i was a fanatical Son of Russ and I never looked back.
So over the next few weeks I convinced my Dad to take me to games workshop, where I promptly ran to the 40K section and picked up a box of Grey Hunters and the codex, i was a happy happy kid that day. That's how my hobby journey began folks.


"They are the Emperors sanction made manifest"

Over the years, i always stayed true to the Sixth Legion and have amassed a massive amount of miniatures, or should i say parts as some are yet to be assembled even years after purchase. My wolves army is big, but other factions/races have intrigued me down the years and i have dabbled with Dark Eldar, as i mentioned earlier, a decent Blood angels army, Orks and even a small imperial fist army, even purchasing some Eldar mini's along the way despite my love hate relationship with them. Though i'll always be an Imperial loyalist so most of my time is dedicated to gawping at marines.




Now to this blog. For me the heresy, like many many 40K fans and hobbyists, is hands down the most intriguing part of the 40K universe. What's not to love about the over powered might of ten's even hundred's of thousands of marine's, given my own power hungry addiction to Space wolf Terminators and Dreadnoughts in their various patterns. So when Syra and Buteo suggested we start a blog for our first official foray into the Horus heresy I jumped at the chance. 



I have always obsessed over Forge World models rather than the GW line and always tried to shoe horn FW units into my wolves army, much to the displeasure of Syra lol, though always the good sport, he lets me use them in our games. So when the traitor legions were released and with the amount of cool models available to buy, it was very hard to resist.

With the Prospero book in the not too distant future my space wolves legion could wait as I will be buying them with all the trimmings (Space Wolves Cataphractii and Adeptus Custodes Terminators ....drool....)
  


Ol Horus is a persuasive bugger
This blog will be chance the indulge my dirty little secret. The Sons of Horus. They are my favourite traitor legion from the books as well as having gorgeous models made by forge world. They have a cut throat/savage nature with a dash of the Roman legionary about them, so it will satisfy an itch I've had from a hobby perspective for a while. The Heresy minis are the best thing to come out of GW and the Horus model is simply stunning, so not only is this the chance to really sink my teeth in to them, but also systematically build a force from scratch, something I've never managed to do before. 

So with a sizeable chunk purchased i will be posting regular update's of my progress in keeping in with our challenge, as highlighted by Buteo. With Buteo already out of the blocks with his amazing Blood Angels, its a great incentive for me and Syra to get going. I'll be travelling to the Forge World open day next month with the guys, so no doubt i will be bringing back some new additions!! 










3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol that Dark Eldar box, good old times. Great intro!

    Oops - double posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love that picture of the space wolves slaughtering orks! Can't wait to see the Sons of Horus get started.

    ReplyDelete